SOMERS, N.Y. -- If it's the holidays, Somers residents are sure to find a host of fun events to celebrate the season including everything from a tree lighting ceremony to a gingerbread festival.
To make sure residents don't miss out on any of the festive happenings taking place at the Elephant Hotel and the Wright Reis Homstead, read on:
- Town Christmas Tree Tradition, Sunday, Dec. 4 -- Join in on the third annual Town of Somers tradition and take a photo of your children in front of the Town Christmas tree with a 6-inch ruler so parents can mark how much they have grown each year. Event runs from 3 to 5 p.m. on the front lawn of the Elephant Hotel. In addition, photos with Santa will be offered on the first floor from 3 to 4:30 p.m.
- Somers Historical Society Open House, Sunday, Dec. 4, from 3 to 4:30 p.m.-- The society will offer a exhibition on the first and third floors of the hotel featuring 60 years of favorite toys, inspirational artifacts and the Great Somers Stamp Feud. In addition, attendees are encouraged to bring a non-perishable food item for the St. Luke's Food Pantry or a new unwrapped gift or book for the Maria Fareri Children's Hospital Toy Drive.
- Holiday Music, Sunday, Dec. 4 from 3:30 to 5 p.m. at the Elephant Hotel -- Holiday music will be provided by Richard and Harry Egnor on the front lawn of the hotel.
- Hot Cocoa and Sing-a-Along, Sunday, Dec. 4 from 4 to 5 p.m. at the Elephant Hotel -- Sing-a-Along with the Somers Girl Scouts and enjoy a free cup of hot cocoa on the front lawn.
- Christmas Tree Lighting, Sunday, Dec. 4, 5 p.m. -- Wrap up the day of fun at the Elephant Hotel with the lighting of the Christmas Tree on the front lawn at 5 p.m.
Special events are also scheduled for Saturday Dec. 10 and Sunday, Dec. 25, including:
- Holidays at the Wright Reis Homestead and Gingerbread Festival 2016, Saturday, Dec. 10, from 1 to 4 p.m. -- Visit the historic home for a day full of music, gingerbread and holiday fun.
- Menorah Lighting for Hanukkah, Sunday, Dec. 25, 6 p.m. -- Enjoy the lighting of the Menorah of Hanukkah on the front lawn of the Elephant Hotel.
All events are being sponsored by the Lions Club of Somers, Somers Girl Scouts, Somers Historical Society and the Somers Chamber of Commerce. For information, call 914-232-8441.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.