SOMERS, N.Y. -- The storm didn't turn out quite like forecasters predicted. But still: You no doubt have a supply of bread, eggs, and milk on hand and looking for ideas for something other than French Toast.
Somers resident Karen Doman, chef/owner of Dishin' It , a personal chef and catering service, offered the following bread pudding recipe as an alternative.
- 6 slices day-old bread (a baguette, works nicely as well)
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter over bread. If using, mix in the raisins.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until lemony in color. Add milk, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Whisk together until combined. Pour over the bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaked in the egg mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
For information on Dishin' It, call 914- 582-5123 or go to www.dishinitny.com/ .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.