SOMERS, N.Y. ? The Daily Voice accepts signed, original letters to the editor. Letters may be emailed to email@example.com.
To the Editor:
The Town of Somers is embarking on a remarkable sustainability journey. Since the recent launch of EnergizeSomers along with the completion of our Greenhouse Gas Inventory and Climate Action Plan, our town has laid the foundation for a brighter greener future for all residents.
We believe a tighter bond between the Somers Central School District (SCSD) and the town will enable us to make progress on many fronts. We discussed with Schools Superintendent Ray Blanch, and Julie Gherardi, director of Curriculum, Instruction and Professional Learning, the kinds of mutually beneficial activities in which we would like to collaborate.
The past support from SCSD faculty like Sara Franchino, Mike Fry, and the teachers that sponsored the essay contest were incredibly successful in generating not only student participation but awareness as well.
To continue to build on our momentum and assist with our new initiative, the Town of Somers Sustainability Action Plan, the Somers Energy Environment Committee (SEEC) would like to further engage SCSD teachers and students on a wide array of projects limited only by our imagination.
Some Activities/Events to Explore Partnerships include:
- Articles for GreenSomers.org and The Somers Record
- Science Leaders – Content
- Energy by Design (in Somers Middle School?)
- Energy Survey – Students can “audit” their homes contest for most efficient home…community
- IBM Science Fair + Somers Rotary
- Energy and Sustainability Internships help with next Energy Expo
- Tree Planting
- Essay Contest
SEEC is also committed to working all the SCSD PTA groups such as:
1. On October 18, the SEEC attended the Somers High School Community Service/Employment Fair – The SEEC had a booth with numerous energy, environmental, community and social media projects for students who are in need of volunteer hours, or who are excited about the cause.
2. The PTA is excited to start sustainable gardens in each school which SEEC will be providing assistance.
3. The PTA awards grants to teachers who are looking to start new projects with students. They are looking for a proposal from a teacher on a Green Project.
4. The PTA would like to help organize a sustainability project for the seniors over the course of their senior year.
The Somers Energy Environment Committee is under the auspices of the Town of Somers. Additional information can be found at www.somersny.com or www.greensomers.org
Herb Oringel, Chair, Somers Energy Environment Committee Frank Maricic, Energy Manager, Town of Somers
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.