Contact Us
Somers Daily Voice serves Somers, NY
Return to your home site


Somers Daily Voice serves Somers, NY

Nearby Towns


Somers Council Member Bolton Resigns

SOMERS, N.Y. -- Republican Council member Harry Bolton took his colleagues by surprise on Monday with his sudden resignation from his seat on the town board.

“From my perspective it’s not really sudden,” Bolton said. “It’s doctor’s orders. I have some health issues that need medical attention.”

Bolton added that he appreciates everyone who voted for him and it was an honor to be elected.

“I go along with 90 percent of what the board does,” Bolton said. “The other 10 percent we don’t agree on. It’s a big expense for taxpayers.”

Supervisor Mary Beth Murphy said that she hopes Bolton has a speedy recovery.

“The board hasn’t decided yet what to do. His seat may remain vacant or someone may be appointed to replace him. There will be a special election in November and the winner will complete the remainder of his term, which ends in 2013,” Murphy said.

Bolton was elected to his first four-year term on the town council in 2009. He also challenged, and was defeated by, Mary Beth Murphy in a Republican primary for town supervisor in September 2011.

“I hope Harry can address his health issues. And I send him my best wishes,” Murphy said.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Somers Daily Voice!

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Somers Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.