SOMERS, N.Y. - Janice Ruth Mason of Somers died March 1. She was 81.
Mason was born June 24, 1932, in Breckenridge, Minn. She graduated from Breckenridge High School and attended North Dakota State College in Fargo, N.D. She was married to John Huey Mason.
She was involved in community theatre for much of her adult life, including her college production of Antigone, her early days at the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego, Calif., and later throughout Westchester County, including the Chappaqua Drama Group, the Katonah Community Theatre, and the Schoolhouse Theatre in Croton Falls. In the 1970s, she formed the Patchwork Players, a travelling theatre group that performed for thousands of school children over a number of years. She volunteered at Sing Sing prison, teaching theatre to inmates interested in acting.
Mason is survived by her children, Jeff Mason (Janet Netz) of Ann Arbor, Mich., Julie Mason of Novato, Calif., and Jonathan Mason (Donna) of Milford, Mass.; a niece; and eight grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, April 5 at St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Somers.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. (http://www.lls.org/#/waystohelp/donate)
- 1 9-, 11-Year-Old Mohegan Lake Boys Charged In Burglaries
- 2 Dozens Sickened In Nine States After Salmonella Outbreak
- 3 Ossining Teacher, Former Coach Reassigned After Felony DWI Charge
- 4 Metro-North Trains Returns To Schedule As Grand Central Reopens
- 5 Body Pulled From Hudson ID'd As Missing Kayaker In Murder Case