SOMERS, N.Y. - Janice Ruth Mason of Somers died March 1. She was 81.
Mason was born June 24, 1932, in Breckenridge, Minn. She graduated from Breckenridge High School and attended North Dakota State College in Fargo, N.D. She was married to John Huey Mason.
She was involved in community theatre for much of her adult life, including her college production of Antigone, her early days at the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego, Calif., and later throughout Westchester County, including the Chappaqua Drama Group, the Katonah Community Theatre, and the Schoolhouse Theatre in Croton Falls. In the 1970s, she formed the Patchwork Players, a travelling theatre group that performed for thousands of school children over a number of years. She volunteered at Sing Sing prison, teaching theatre to inmates interested in acting.
Mason is survived by her children, Jeff Mason (Janet Netz) of Ann Arbor, Mich., Julie Mason of Novato, Calif., and Jonathan Mason (Donna) of Milford, Mass.; a niece; and eight grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, April 5 at St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Somers.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. (http://www.lls.org/#/waystohelp/donate)
- 1 Mahopac Man Who Owns 3 Pet Stores Charged With Animal Cruelty
- 2 Actor/Director Charged With Possession Of Child Porn, Westchester DA Says
- 3 Drenching Thunderstorms Headed To Somers
- 4 Former School Bus Driver Sentenced For Sexual Abuse Of 6-Year-Old Girl
- 5 10 License Violators In Westchester Fined By State Liquor Authority