SOMERS, N.Y. - Leroy Smith of Somers died Feb. 15. He was 87.
Smith was born June 1, 1926, in Valdosta, Georgia, the son of Emmett Lee and Gladys (Johnson) Smith. He joined the Navy during World War II and served in both the European and Pacific campaign. After serving the country, he joined the NYC transit authority with 34 years of service attaining the title of chief of operations.
Smith is survived by his children, Paul (Barbara) Smith, Vivian O'Mara, Barbara (Joseph) Dwyer; nine grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; sister, Gladys Coody; brother, William Smith; and companion, Nancy Vella. He was predeceased by his wife, Pauline A. Smith.
Calling hours are Wednesday, Feb. 19 from 7 to 9 p.m. and Thursday, Feb. 20 from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. at Clark Associates Funeral Home, Katonah. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday, Feb. 21 at St. Joseph's RC Church, 95 Plum Brook Road, Somers. Interment will follow at Calverton National Cemetery, Calverton.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 State Police in Somers Charge Man, 20, With Having Sex Chats With Minors
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Somers
- 4 Knife-Wielding Mohegan Lake Man Threatens Good Samaritan, Say Police
- 5 Two Charged During Route 35 DWI Checkpoint In Somers