SOMERS, N.Y. - Leroy Smith of Somers died Feb. 15. He was 87.
Smith was born June 1, 1926, in Valdosta, Georgia, the son of Emmett Lee and Gladys (Johnson) Smith. He joined the Navy during World War II and served in both the European and Pacific campaign. After serving the country, he joined the NYC transit authority with 34 years of service attaining the title of chief of operations.
Smith is survived by his children, Paul (Barbara) Smith, Vivian O'Mara, Barbara (Joseph) Dwyer; nine grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; sister, Gladys Coody; brother, William Smith; and companion, Nancy Vella. He was predeceased by his wife, Pauline A. Smith.
Calling hours are Wednesday, Feb. 19 from 7 to 9 p.m. and Thursday, Feb. 20 from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. at Clark Associates Funeral Home, Katonah. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday, Feb. 21 at St. Joseph's RC Church, 95 Plum Brook Road, Somers. Interment will follow at Calverton National Cemetery, Calverton.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over Somers Skies Sunday
- 2 Ridgefield High School Officials Investigate Reports Of Hazing, Bullying
- 3 Alert Issued For Missing Woman, 80, Who Could Be In Westchester
- 4 Bedford Hills Nurse Earned More Than $630K In Overtime
- 5 Somers Will See Temperature Plunge On Sunday