SOMERS, N.Y. - Melvin L. Smith of Somers died Monday, June 2. He was 85.
Smith was born April 30, 1929, in Ossining. He served in the U.S. Army as a sergeant in Korea from 1951 to 1952. After returning home, he and his wife moved to Somers. He worked for most of his life as an operating engineer for IBOE Local 137 and most recently was a shop foreman for Yonkers Contracting Corporation. He was a machinist and toolmaker. He volunteered as a Boy Scout leader for Somers Troup 1 for many years. He was a member of the Mount Hope United Methodist Church in Lake Mahopac.
Smith is survived by his son, Brian Smith (Karen) of Candia, N.H.; daughter-in-law, Patricia Smith of Brewster; and five grandchildren. He was predeceased by his wife, Helen T. Smith; brother, Chester Smith; sister-in-law, Betty Smith; and sons, Eric and Bruce Smith.
Calling hours are Friday, June 6, from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. at the Clark Associates Funeral Home in Katonah. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, June 7 at the funeral home, followed by interment at Ivandell Cemetery in Somers.
Contributions may be made to Mount Hope United Methodist Church at P.O. Box 381, Mahopac Falls, NY 10542.
- 1 State Police Charge Two During DWI Checkpoint In Somers
- 2 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 3 Drowning Victim, 22, ID'd; Schools Superintendent's Stepson
- 4 Police Charge Yorktown Woman In Fraud Case After Facebook Tip
- 5 Man In Custody After Assaulting Trooper, Leading To Two-State Chase