SOMERS, N.Y. – Nora "Mae" Mary Conlon Collins of Somers died Jan. 7 at her home. She was 107.
Collins was born March 17, 1905, in Carragolda, County Mayo, Ireland. The oldest of 10 children, she immigrated to the U.S. in 1922 at the age of 17. She worked for many families before marrying in 1931.
In the 1940s, the family moved to Astoria, Queens, N.Y. She worked at Schrafft's Restaurant and Prince George Hotel and was a member of SEIU Local 6. She retired to Westchester in 1970.
For the last 40 years, Collins was a parishioner of St. John the Evangelist Church in Mahopac, N.Y. She enjoyed traveling with her daughter and grandson, Jim, to Ireland and was in the St. Patrick's Parade of Westchester and Putnam.
Collins was predeceased by her husband, Martin, in 1989; and a son-in-law, Eugene Heslin. She is survived by a daughter, Margaret C. Heslin, of New Paltz, N.Y.; a son, Martin (Marilyn) Collins, of Florida and Long Island, N.Y.; eight grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews in the U.S. and Ireland.
Visitation is from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Friday at Cargain Funeral Home in Mahopac, N.Y. A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. John the Evangelist Church. Burial will follow at Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne.
- 1 Mahopac Man Who Owns 3 Pet Stores Charged With Animal Cruelty
- 2 Actor/Director Charged With Possession Of Child Porn, Westchester DA Says
- 3 Drenching Thunderstorms Headed To Somers
- 4 Former School Bus Driver Sentenced For Sexual Abuse Of 6-Year-Old Girl
- 5 10 License Violators In Westchester Fined By State Liquor Authority