SOMERS, N.Y. - Phillip Leahy of Somers died June 17. He was 79.
Leahy was born in Manhattan, to Anna and Phillip Leahy and raised in the Bronx. He graduated from Fordham Prep and went to obtain his Masters Degree in Mathematics, and Doctorate in Education from NYU. He taught at several local public and private high schools before moving into administrative positions, including five years as superintendent of the Englewood N.J. schools. After 13 years as superintendent of schools for the Newburgh City School District, he joined the faculty at NYU, Department of Educational Administration.
Leahy is survived by his wife, Ellen Leahy; son, Phillip, of Mohegan Lake; brother, Daniel Leahy; and two nephews.
Calling hours are Friday, June 20 at 11 a.m. in the courtyard behind the chapel at Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel in the Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Hawthorne. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 12 p.m. Friday, June 20 at Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel in the Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Hawthorne. Burial will follow immediately.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Leahy’s name to the Somers Fire Department's Emergency Medical Service of Somers.
For more information, please visit: www.hawthornefuneralhome.com
- 1 Aunt's Daughter Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Somers
- 3 Mohegan Lake Man Breaks Nose Of Former Employee, Police Say
- 4 Probability Of A White Christmas Is Low In Somers
- 5 Arrest Of 'Bicycle Bandit' Ends Rash Of 15 Robberies In Westchester