SOMERS, N.Y. – Robert Bass of Somers died Jan. 27 after a long illness. He was 82.
The oldest of three children, Bass started working at a shoeshine box at the age of 10 and selling Good Humor ice cream at 14. His family said he was a well-known figure on Lincoln and Columbus avenues in Mount Vernon.
He bought his first piece of property at age 17 and established J. Bass & Sons Inc. He was an accomplished numismatist, or coin collector, amassing a collection of American Pioneer Patterns.
Bass taught himself about coins by establishing an extensive library. When he retired to Heritage Hills, he became president of Condo No. 9.
He is survived by his wife, Ina; five children, Deborah (John) Shindle, Julie (Bill) Divens, Jacqueline (Jeffrey) Zagoren, Michael (Ellen) Bass and Beth (Eric) Clamidge; and seven grandchildren.
Services and interment will be private. Clark Associates Funeral Home is handling arrangements.
- 1 Restaurateur Found Guilty Of Forcibly Touching Waitress
- 2 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust
- 3 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 4 Yorktown Man Charged With Shoplifting Thermometers
- 5 Credit Card Skimmer Discovery At Area Bank Prompts Concern