SOMERS, N.Y. – Robert Bass of Somers died Jan. 27 after a long illness. He was 82.
The oldest of three children, Bass started working at a shoeshine box at the age of 10 and selling Good Humor ice cream at 14. His family said he was a well-known figure on Lincoln and Columbus avenues in Mount Vernon.
He bought his first piece of property at age 17 and established J. Bass & Sons Inc. He was an accomplished numismatist, or coin collector, amassing a collection of American Pioneer Patterns.
Bass taught himself about coins by establishing an extensive library. When he retired to Heritage Hills, he became president of Condo No. 9.
He is survived by his wife, Ina; five children, Deborah (John) Shindle, Julie (Bill) Divens, Jacqueline (Jeffrey) Zagoren, Michael (Ellen) Bass and Beth (Eric) Clamidge; and seven grandchildren.
Services and interment will be private. Clark Associates Funeral Home is handling arrangements.
- 1 Somers Woman Charged With Violating Order Of Protection, Resisting Arrest
- 2 Obama Will Fly Into Westchester Airport For Big-Ticket Fundraiser
- 3 Airbag Recall Is Largest Ever In Auto History
- 4 Westchester Communities Rank High Among Nation's Best Suburbs
- 5 Mount Kisco Bank Teller Pleads Guilty To Stealing $1.4M