SOMERS, N.Y. – Graduates of Somers High School’s class of 1992 share a special bond, an unusual one that came at a time in their lives when young people feel invincible.
A few days before graduation, two classmates, Jeff Ianniello and Michael North, were killed together in a car accident.
“It made such an impact on us,” said alumna Jeremy Beth (Hirschhorn) Kusmin. “It was supposed to be the best time of our lives, and instead we spent the week hysterical. It was a sad end to our high school career.”
To honor the two boys and fellow classmates John Kazigo and Bryan Abel, who have since passed away, a special memorial ceremony will be held at this weekend’s 20th Class Reunion. The Katonah Nursery has donated a tree for planting.
“It’ll blossom every spring to remind us of our classmates who are no longer with us,” Kusmin said.
The concept of the reunion began when Kusmin, now a resident of Plymouth, Mass., got together with five school chums through Facebook and email. It was intended to be a Saturday night get-together, but when about 75 people from the class of about 190 responded affirmatively, it turned into a reunion weekend.
The weekend’s events are as follows:
- Friday, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. – Happy hour at Somers 202 Restaurant, 2 Old Tomahawk St., Somers. All Somers High School alumni are invited to join the class of ’92.
- Saturday, 11 a.m. to noon – Tour of the renovated high school, under the guidance of current Student Council members. Tours will be offered every 15 minutes.
- Saturday, noon – Candle-lighting and Memorial Ceremony for deceased classmates, at the high school.
- Saturday, 7 to 11 p.m. – Cocktails and heavy appetizers at Seasons Restaurant, 289 Route 100, Somers. The price at the door is $80 per person.
- Sunday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. – FunDay Picnic at Reis Park on Primrose Street, Somers. A Remembrance Walk at 10:45 a.m. in honor a deceased classmates, followed by an afternoon of games, children’s activities and barbecues. Bring your own picnic and beverages. Barbecue grills will be provided. Bring your own softball and basketball equipment. And don’t forget the wife or husband and kids. All Somers High alums are welcome.
Click here to see who is attending the reunion.
- 1 Mother Of Croton Child Who Died Upgraded To Serious Condition
- 2 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits Market For $29.5M
- 3 Mahopac Father Who Allegedly Hit Coach Faces New Charge
- 4 Mohegan Lake Man, Pastoral Council VP, Faces Child Pornography Charges
- 5 Nearly 1M Bicycles Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed