SOMERS, N.Y. – Kennedy Catholic High School in Somers will observe the official opening of its newly renovated gymnasium on Tuesday with a ceremony retiring the jersey of the late Kennedy alumnus Tyrell Thompson.
A 2006 graduate of Kennedy High and a leading player on the basketball team during its 2004 championship season, Thompson went on to graduate from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. He was serving as a 1st lieutenant in the Army at Fort Lee, Va., when he collapsed and died during a pickup basketball game on Aug. 22.
Thompson was admired by faculty, coaches, teammates and friends. His former teammates have been especially invited to Tuesday’s ceremony, along with the Thompson family, his high school coach and his Army coach. His jersey, No. 21, will be retired just prior to the season’s opening game against Mamaroneck.
Renovations at Kennedy Catholic’s gym include retractable seating in place of the old wooden bleachers and a resurfaced hardwood floor with a center court logo designed by 1993 graduate Matthew Walker. Donations for the $250,000 project came from alumni and parents, who will be recognized with nameplates both in the gym and outdoors on the new synthetic turf fields.
- 1 Mother Of Croton Child Who Died Upgraded To Serious Condition
- 2 Police Investigate Assault With Baseball Bat In Yorktown
- 3 Route 35 Reopens After Downed Tree, Wires Lead To Closure
- 4 Mahopac Father Who Allegedly Hit Coach Faces New Charge
- 5 Taking Extra Vitamins Increases Cancer, Heart Disease Risk, Study Says