SOMERS, N.Y. – Kennedy Catholic High School in Somers will observe the official opening of its newly renovated gymnasium on Tuesday with a ceremony retiring the jersey of the late Kennedy alumnus Tyrell Thompson.
A 2006 graduate of Kennedy High and a leading player on the basketball team during its 2004 championship season, Thompson went on to graduate from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. He was serving as a 1st lieutenant in the Army at Fort Lee, Va., when he collapsed and died during a pickup basketball game on Aug. 22.
Thompson was admired by faculty, coaches, teammates and friends. His former teammates have been especially invited to Tuesday’s ceremony, along with the Thompson family, his high school coach and his Army coach. His jersey, No. 21, will be retired just prior to the season’s opening game against Mamaroneck.
Renovations at Kennedy Catholic’s gym include retractable seating in place of the old wooden bleachers and a resurfaced hardwood floor with a center court logo designed by 1993 graduate Matthew Walker. Donations for the $250,000 project came from alumni and parents, who will be recognized with nameplates both in the gym and outdoors on the new synthetic turf fields.
- 1 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home
- 2 Somers' First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 3 Feed Barn Fire Near Somers Disrupts Neighboring Stores
- 4 Somers Man Charged With Disorderly Conduct Charge By Yorktown Cops
- 5 Halloween Parade Draws Large Crowd To Downtown Somers