SOMERS, N.Y. – The closure of schools for multiple days because of Hurricane Sandy may force the Somers Central School District to revise its calendar for the 2012-13 school year and add class days during spring break, a school official said.
New York State mandates 180 days of school attendance. To make up for the missed days, Nov. 9, originally designated as a professional development day, was converted to a school day, said Matthew Carr, director of instructional services & personnel. The net number of lost school days came to five.
However, if more student days were lost this winter, it would be necessary to add class on one or more of the days set aside for spring recess, said Carr. The days would be changed in the following order: March 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29.
The Somers Central School District publishes a school calendar on its website.
- 1 Westchester Private Schools Rank Among 'Smartest' In Nation
- 2 Father Charged After Incident With Varsity Lacrosse Coach At Mahopac HS
- 3 Snow Could Be Returning To Somers
- 4 Daughters Of Edgemont Driver Of SUV In Fatal Crash Will Be On 'Today' Show
- 5 Multi-Vehicle Accident Reported Near Route 138 In Goldens Bridge