SOMERS, N.Y. – The Somers High School boys varsity soccer team is dedicating its 2012 season to Monique Williams, a 15-year-old student who died of leukemia in September.
At each of the remaining home games, the team will collect contributions to be donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in Monique’s name. Players will make fund-raising efforts individually as well.
In a written release, a spokesman for the team explained that Monique had fought her illness for six years. “We as players admire her courage,” the release said, “and donate in Monique’s name for all those fighting this disease.”
The next home game will be at Somers High School on Oct. 15 at 4:30 p.m.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Somers, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Somers
- 3 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 4 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Somers; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 5 Accidents On Slippery Westchester Roadways Include Jackknifed Trailer