March 5 Update: With 23,543 votes, Somers' Old Bet has won the first round, and now moves into the Regional Round, competing against fifty other schools from March 6 to March 14. The six Regional winners will compete from March 15 to March 25 for the chance to be named the Best High School Sports Mascot in America and win $2,000. Click here to cast your vote.
SOMERS, N.Y. – Somers’ renowned elephant, Old Bet, is in competition with four other school mascots to be named the “Best Mascot in New York” by USA Today.
Old Bet is a symbol of the town, its history and its sports teams.
The other top competitors are the Fredonia Hillbillies, the Notre Dame Jugglers (Utica), the Warrensburg Burghemeister and the Doane Stuart School Thunder Chickens (Rensselaer).
The five mascots and their graphic symbols are listed on the webpage, along with brief explanations of their backgrounds. Somers residents and their families and friends will certainly concur that Old Bet deserves to win.
Click here to cast your vote. You must be at least 13 years old and may vote as often as you like. The deadline is 3 p.m., Tuesday, March 5.
- 1 Police In Search Of Three Missing Teens Who May Be In Westchester
- 2 Man, Two Women Charged In Jefferson Valley Mall Parking Lot Heroin Bust
- 3 Somers State Police Charge Woman With DWI At I-684 Stop
- 4 Christmas Light Shows Spread Holiday Spirit In Somers
- 5 New York Archdiocese Likely To Merge More Parishes