EASTCHESTER, N.Y. Willowbrook Swim and Tennis Club diver Aaron Wald needed a strong final dive to claim first place in the boys ages 14-17 division of the 87th annual Westchester County Swimming Association Counties Diving Championships at Lake Isle Country Club in Eastchester. His closest opponents, John Paul Flangos and Evan Moretti, had already made their final dives.
Wald calmly walked to the edge of the diving board and performed a beautiful twisting dive to earn the win, finishing with a 224.85. Flangos and Moretti finished second and third with 220.35 and 201.55, respectively.
I like pressure, Wald said. I love those pressure-filled events and I use it as a motivator.
The trio of Wald, Flangos, of the Bronxville Field Club, and Moretti, of Scarsdale Municipal, finished well ahead of the rest of the pack of 20 competitors. But Moretti knew his chances at a victory were slim when the Mt. Kisco-based Wald stepped up to the board.
I was kind of hoping he messed up, but, of course, you cant control that, so I was kind of just sitting, just waiting, Moretti said. I knew he was going to do better than me so I kind of just played with my moms iPhone the whole time.
Here are the top eight finishers from the boys ages 14-17 division, each of whom received medals:
- Aaron Wald, Willowbrook Swim and Tennis Club (Mt. Kisco), 224.85
- John Paul Flangos, Bronxville Field Club, 220.35
- Evan Moretti, Scarsdale Municipal, 201.55
- Grant Dalton, Coveleigh Club (Rye), 162.45
- Matthew Dunworth, Katonah Swim Team, 155.95
- Ryan Levy, Briarcliff Manor Club, 153.55
- Gabriele Girotto, Rye Golf Club, 151.55
- Heath Carmichael, Pound Ridge Swim Team, 144.35
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.