SOMERS, N.Y. – When the Somers High School boys’ basketball team beat Iona Prep at the buzzer in December, it had the feel of a season altering win.
And it may have done just that as the Tuskers have won eight straight games heading into Friday’s matchup at John Jay at 6:45 p.m.
Senior guard John Decker has been a revelation for Somers this season. He scored 39 points in the game against Iona, which was the second-most in Slam Dunk Tournament history. More importantly, the win legitimized a strong start to Somers’ season and propelled them along the current eight-game winning streak.
“They’re Iona Prep. We’re Somers. No one knows Somers,” Decker said after the December win. “So it’s just a great feeling.”
Decker hit a buzzer-beating three-pointer against Brewster in a 57-54 win on Jan. 10. He scored 17 points in that game, below his average for the year, but he has without a doubt been the spark for the Tuskers this year.
If Decker continues to perform the way he has in the last month, particularly in the fourth quarter, then Somers could be tough to stop as the season progresses.
- 1 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home
- 2 Police Issue Alert For Missing Teens Who Could Be In Westchester
- 3 Somers' First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 4 Somers Man Charged With Disorderly Conduct Charge By Yorktown Cops
- 5 Westchester Parishes Waiting On Word Of Closures