SOMERS, N.Y. – Somers High School boys’ basketball star John Decker is The Daily Voice Student-Athlete of the Month for December.
Decker led the Tuskers to what could be a season-altering win Thursday against Iona Prep at the Slam Dunk Tournament at the Westchester County Center. Somers shocked the Gaels with a buzzer-beating three-pointer in the 59-58 victory.
Decker scored 39 points in the game, the second-most for a boy in tournament history. He had all 17 of Somers’ points midway through the third quarter and earned MVP honors in the challenge game.
The senior was instrumental in the final, game-winning play as well. After Max Parks grabbed a missed free throw, he handed the ball to Decker, who pushed it down court and found a wide open Conor Cousin in the corner for the winning shot.
The historic performance was all the more impressive considering the two programs involved.
“No one in the world expects us to win this game,” Decker said after the win. “I mean no one even knows who Somers is. I’m sure we shocked 99 percent of the people in the county, except for Somers.”
- 1 Pleasantville Teen Is Sentenced In Crash That Killed Three
- 2 Police Search For Missing Teen With Medical Needs
- 3 Woman Spits At, Kicks Westchester Officers During DWI Arrest, Say Police
- 4 Man Charged With Driving Four Times Legal Limit In Route 6 Stop
- 5 Thieves Stole Personal Data From 104,000 Taxpayers, IRS Says