SOMERS, N.Y. – Sports fans in Somers had plenty to celebrate the last 12 months from section championships to milestone wins. Here are the top sports stories in Somers from 2012:
Dematteo Wins 300
Somers High School football coach Tony Dematteo won his 300th career game as a head coach when the Tuskers defeated Hendrick Hudson, 34-7, in the Section 1 Class A quarterfinals. Dematteo reached yet another milestone in his illustrious 43-year career at Roosevelt High School and Somers.
Tuskers Capture Section Title
Dematteo and the Tuskers enjoyed another celebration when they defeated Sleepy Hollow in the Class A championship game, which Hurricane Sandy and the subsequent nor’easter delayed for several days. The Tuskers got to celebrate in front of their home fans as Section 1 officials moved the game to Somers because of weather conditions.
A Rivalry Renewed
The Somers lacrosse team had two intense battles with rival John Jay in April and May. The Tuskers won the first meeting, 9-6, April 12 and rolled all the way to the section semifinals where they again faced the Indians. This time, John Jay would come out on top with a 9-3 victory and earn a trip to the section championship game despite Somers’ best efforts.
- 1 State Police Warn Somers Residents Of Phone Scam
- 2 Two Charged In Underage Drinking Detail That Includes Somers
- 3 ESPN Writer's Son, 21, Missing At College In Upstate New York
- 4 Owner Plans To Sell 1 Pepsi Way With PepsiCo's Move Out Of Somers
- 5 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash