WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Westchester soccer fans were disappointed but proud as the United States men's soccer team was narrowly eliminated from 2014 World Cup by Belgium 2-1 in extra time on Tuesday.
The teams were tied 0-0 after 90 minutes until Belgium scored twice in the first 15-minute overtime session. After pulling to within a goal, the U.S. had several chances to score the tying goal but failed to do so.
"USA did a great job but couldn't get that goal when they needed it," Perry Smith of Yonkers said after the game. "We proved we could play with the tops teams and everyone was into he games."
Belgium advances to Saturday's noon EST quarterfinal against Argentina.
Fans packed Westchester bars and restaurants beginning just before the 4 p.m. start. The Prime American Grille in Hastings was filled with fans as owners Michael and John DiMiceli hosted the crowd of locals.
"Let's hope they win again," John DiMiceli said. "Everyone is focused on the game."
In White Plains, fans were buoyed by a great first half that had the Americans playing good defense.
"Win or lose, they were great," Ryan Cidce said before the game as he sat with friends at O'Connor's Public House.
- 1 State Police Warn Somers Residents Of Phone Scam
- 2 Two Charged In Underage Drinking Detail That Includes Somers
- 3 ESPN Writer's Son, 21, Missing At College In Upstate New York
- 4 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 5 Somers Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday