SOMERS, N.Y. – A chimney fire broke out Saturday evening at a home on Wilner Road in Somers. The Somers Volunteer Fire Department responded when the residents called 911.
“The chimney flue was enclosed in a wooden chimney and the top of the chimney caught fire,” said Somers Fire Department Second Assistant Chief Jody Leverich.
Leverich said the fire didn’t extend into the house and that it was contained in the chimney. Nobody was hurt.
As the cold weather approaches and people begin to use their fireplaces, the incidence of chimney fires increases. How can you prevent it?
“Have your chimney cleaned annually,” said Leverich. “Only burn seasoned wood. Don’t burn freshly cut wood.”
The Chimney Safety Institute of America advises people to make sure tree branches and leaves are at least 15 feet away. A chimney cap prevents debris and animals from blocking the opening. Never burn Christmas trees, treated wood or wrapping paper in your fireplace or wood stove.
Keep furniture and other materials at least three feet away from the fire and use a screen on a fireplace. Keep the hearth clear and remove ashes regularly.
When you discard the ashes, put them in a closed metal container and place them far away from the house. Finally, install smoke detectors and replace the batteries regularly.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.