Contact Us
Somers Daily Voice serves Somers, NY
Return to your home site

Menu

Somers Daily Voice serves Somers, NY

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Somers High School Garage Fire Results In Injury To Man, Chief Says

A fire was reported to have damaged a garage at Somers High School.
A fire was reported to have damaged a garage at Somers High School. Photo Credit: Tom Auchterlonie

SOMERS, N.Y. -- A man was injured in a garage fire at Somers High School on Friday, according to Somers Fire Chief George Wahlers.

The man had slight burns, was in shock and was overheated, Wahlers said, adding that he refused medical attention.

The fire department responded to the garage fire at 1:35 p.m. on Friday, according the chief.

It is not clear whether the man is an employee of the Somers school district.

He said that the structure had a "lot of smoke and heat damage."

Lawn-mowing equipment was found to be on fire, along with a garbage can, Wahlers said. Although the fire was put out, the garage's roof was torn open as a precautionary measure to see if the blaze spread, the chief explained. The fire did not spread to the roof, Wahlers added.

Mahopac's fire department provided standby mutual aid, Walhers said, although Somers firefighters was able to operate at the school without on-site help from counterparts.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Somers Daily Voice!

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Somers Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.